Sunday, September 21, 2008

Let Me Please Introduce Myself

My name is Brian. I'm 28 years old and live in Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada. I have a beautiful wife and two beautiful daughters. My oldest, Rosemarie, is 8 and my youngest, Margaret, is 3.

I am not an athelete by any means. Growing up I was the kid who was picked last when picking teams in the school yard at recess. I played Soccer, but wasn't very goood. I wouldn't admit it to anyone, but my lack of athletic skills was starting to hurt my self-esteem. I finally found something I was good at at the age of 16. Football Officiating. For the last 12 years I've been a Football Official.

Football Officiating was the boost my self-esteem needed. It was actually thanks to my fellow Football Officials that I started being a runner. In February of last year some fellow Officials and myself entered a relay race called the Great Grain Relay. Each team member would run 800 metres and then tag off to his/her team mate who would run another 800 metres. The race lasted 2 hours. The goal was too run as many laps as possible. This race got me started as a serious runner. Now I run an average of 12 miles/week. My goal is to someday run one of our 2 major Marathon's that we have in Winnipeg. The Winnipeg Police Services Half Marathon and the Manitoba Marathon.

My grandmother once told me that I am one of the most determined people she has ever known. She said that she has always been amazed by how I set goals for myself and will stop at nothing to make sure I acheive those goals. Running at least one of these Marathon's is just another one of those goals. Sadly my grandmother passed away one week ago. This goal of running one of these Marathon's is now stronger than ever. I love you Grandma.

No comments: